Right now, because there’s a pandemic, and because I’m disabled, and don’t drive anymore, 90% of my reading takes place at home, in my recliner.
But that’s boring.
So, here are 10 places that I have loved reading that are not my living room!
- Cafe 270–This is a cafe on the Anthem of the Seas, a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. Cafe 270 is the back of the ship, with 270 degrees of floor-to-ceiling windows looking out over the ocean. They have cocoon chairs facing the windows, and that is my favorite place to read in the world.
- In the car. I’m lucky that I can usually read for a few hours before I get carsick.
- At a high school football game. This one requires a little explanation. I hate high school football, but I was in marching band and so I was required to attend every single game, home and away, for six years. Torture. I learned pretty young, though, that because we still wore those absurdly large, furry hats, I could stuff a book (and, later, also a Walkman) up inside. Made it a little hard to balance during pre-game, but made the games bearable.
- In the athletic director’s office at our local college. This is a similar story to the above. My dad was a football coach at the local college when I was growing up, and he also did all the play-by-play for the college basketball team, so the whole family went to a lot of games. I usually had a book, and at some point my mom would always ask if I wanted to go read in “Buck’s office.” Yes, yes I did. Buck had a really comfy chair. Plus, there were snacks at half-time!
- Indianapolis Artsgarden. Indy is a great town, and one of the things that I love most about it is the above-ground series of walkways which connect the convention center, all the downtown hotels, the city-center mall and the Artsgarden, which is gorgeous and a lovely place to spend a couple hours with a book and some tea. Or ice cream. Ok, usually ice cream.
- Airports. Reading in airports is the only thing that keeps me sane.
- Trains. Love reading in the upper deck of a train, with my feet up against the windows, watching the scenery roll by.
- Libraries. Something about being surrounded by books. And a library with a few big comfy chairs? Bliss.
- Bookstores. Same as above, except the Borders in South Hills (Pittsburgh…land of my raisin’) had a FIREPLACE in the lower level, surrounded by said big, comfy chairs. Bliss+Fire is the only thing that exceeds Bliss alone.
- Coffee Shops. I have spent many, many days whiling away hours in a coffee shop. Love finding that corner seat empty and squatting for the day, with an endless supply of coffee…or tea…and scones. Sigh.
What’s your favorite place to read? Answer in the comments, and be sure to check out That Artsy Reader Girl for more Top Ten Tuesday topics!