16 books this month, 6 from the library and 9 from Kindle Unlimited plus one #arc from NetGalley.
This brings my yearly total to 137, which is 55 books ahead of goal, for this point in the year.
Guess I should adjust that goal.
Still reading a preponderance of romances, largely RomComs. I try to not judge my reading, ever. I mean, am steadfast about never judging what anyone else reads, but I am my harshest critic. As I told someone recently, though, given the timeline we live in, I’ll take all the laughs and happily-ever-afters I can get.
Let me tell you what I am concerned about, though. I mentioned last month that this is more books than I have ever read as an adult. What I didn’t mention is that in previous years, when I’ve had a monster year numbers-wise, the book hangover in January has been massive. There have been years where I read nothing in January, and I don’t want to let that happen next year. Might need to save some really juicy reads for after the holidays.
Also, I’m starting an (online) book club, so that will at least mean I’ll have to read SOMETHING.
Books that ended up abandoned were Mother May I, which I just got at the wrong time of the month, Under the Whispering Door, which was just so sad and grief-centered that I couldn’t get past about 20% and Hummingbird Salamander, the style of which was very offputting. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for it, maybe I didn’t feel up to fighting through.
Looking at the holds list, though, there are probably a dozen books there that I keep bouncing to later and later in the year, which might mean that I am not really THAT interested in them after all. I might do a purge at the end of the year. How long do you keep a book in hold limbo before you acknowledge that you just aren’t that into it?
Library Books I Read in October
Kindle Unlimited Books I Read in October
State of Terror, Louise Penny and Hillary Clinton
Checked Out, Reading Soon
- Well Matched, Jen DeLuca
- Utopia Avenue, David Mitchell
- Blue Screen, Robert B. Parker
- The Love Hypothesis, Ali Hazelwood
- The Trouble with Hating You, Sajni Patel
- Harlem Shuffle, Colton Whitehead
- Under the Whispering Door, TJ Klune
- Hummingbird Salamander, Jeff Vandermeer
- Mother May I, Joshilyn Jackson
Favorite Library Book This Month (New Thing!)
Daisy Jones and The Six. No contest, and I read a lot of books that I really liked this month.
Currently On Hold
- Last Summer at the Golden Hotel, Elyssa Friedland
- The Lions of Fifth Avenue, Fiona Davis
- Sooley, John Grisham
- How to Stop Time, Matt Haig
- The Bounty, Janet Evanovich and Steve Hamilton
- The Plot, Jean Hanff Korelitz
- The Troop, Nick Cutter
- A Time for Mercy, John Grisham
- Detransition, Baby, Torrey Peters
- Unbound, Tarana Burke
- The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Beach Read, Emily Henry
- Apples Never Fall, Luanne Moriarty
- Never, Ken Follett
- Much Ado About You, Samantha Young
- Malibu Rising, Taylor Jenkins Reid
- Just Haven’t Met You Yet, Sophie Cousens
- Eight Perfect Hours, Lia Louis
- Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Taylor Jenkins Reid
So, that’s the current state of my virtual library pile. What do you have out from the library now?